Raise awareness of environmental health issues in order to better protect our children and future generations.

EMF Studies

12 October 2011

"Wi-Fi Refugees" Moving to Green Bank, West Virginia to Escape Electromagnetic Radiation

"While not a formal diagnosis in America, electromagnetic sensitivity is recognized in several European countries.  Last May, the World Health Organization classified the electromagnetic radiation emitted by cell phones it as a possible carcinogen."  More and more persons are becoming sensitive to wireless technology.  Some have become so ill that they must live in "white zones", areas free of this type of non-ionizing radiation.  Here is an excellent short news story on this fairly new and troubling phenomenon.  (Click here for the video.)  See also this short videoclip about the National Radio Quiet Zone produced by Al-Jazeera reporter John Terrett.

"A massive radiotelescope prohibits any mainstream electronics from being used nearby

(Green Bank, West Virginia, 22 September 2011, Chris Hurst, Anchor/Reporter)

Tranquil Pocahontas County is not where Diane Schou planned to end up.

“It’s difficult for me to know that it’s an affliction that anybody can share with anyone,” she says. “Anyone can get this.”
Schou and her husband were farmers in Iowa. When a cell phone tower was built near their home she says her problems started.  "I had hair loss. I thought it was old age," she recalls.  "I had a rash, I thought it was something I had eaten.  I was extremely tired."



Eventually she connected the dots. She says the electromagnetic radiation from the tower made her sick. Her doctor agreed, saying her symptoms were caused by electromagnetic sensitivity.

“We told him about the cell tower and his reaction was, ‘Move.’”



While not a formal diagnosis in America, electromagnetic sensitivity is recognized in several European countries. And last May, the World Health Organization classified it as a possible carcinogen.
 
“I would call myself a refugee/fugitive and I would say it’s ‘electromagnetic radiation fugitive,’” she says.

She's found peace and health in West Virginia. Inside the “National Radio Quiet Zone,” a 13-thousand square mile piece of land free from most radio signals. Inside it are Covington, Clifton Forge, Lexington and Buena Vista. But even more restrictive is the ten mile radius around a massive radiotelescope that maps outer space. Without it, there'd be no “Quiet Zone.” It's taller than the Statue of Liberty and receives radio waves from across the universe. But any electromagnetic signals within a ten-mile radius could potentially ruin their research.

Mike Holstine works at the site and says they constantly monitor for any electromagnetic radiation that would disrupt work in Green Bank.  No Wi-Fi. cell phones, rogue radio waves are allowed.

“It's been likened to a single snowflake hitting the ground, that’s how weak these signals [from space] are,” says Holstine.

Michelle Bubnis and her husband moved just outside Green Bank in April.  A few years ago, she noticed electronics giving her a burning on the side of her face.  She too was diagnosed by doctors with electromagnetic sensitivity.

“I think that people who come here are simply trying to get out of pain,” she says. “It’s a life and death situation.”

The couple is building a home near the telescope. When she lived in Texas, for months she was a shut-in, living in a back bedroom in her house.
“I need to be in a radiation free environment so that I can think and I can function as a human being,” she says. “I can go outside now! At my house in Austin, there was so much radio frequency around, everyone had Wi-Fi; I couldn’t go outside.”

And even though this is not the life she wanted, some parts of her life have been changed for the better.
"Suffering makes a person more compassionate, it makes a person more understanding, it makes a person count their blessings," she says.

There aren't steadfast estimates on how many people suffer from Electromagnetic Sensitivity, but health organizations around the world put it between from 2 to 5%.

People in Green Bank say only a handful have moved to the area to seek relief, but all expect more to move there in the future."

2 comments:

  1. Dear people,

    I am an electro high sensitive Dutch woman staying at Tamera, Portugal at the moment. This beautiful community, with beautiful goals for a better world, has almost no consciousness about the wireless-pollution. At all the gathering places there is wifi and most of the people wear mobile phones (mostly smart phones). So it really is a challenge to be here, trying to find my way.
    Tamera is the first community I am visiting on my journey for several months. We often grow through resistance and during my weeks over here I have got my vision clear. I have grown from feeling a victim in having a vision. Now I am writing an article on the pollution of the Ether-element (the carrier of the light) and I am planning to initiate a white zone in Holland.

    Because I have several months left for my journey I would love to visit other white zones in Europe or beyond. I have heard there is one in France (near Crest), in the Alps of Italy, in Sweden, in Germany, in Switserland, in Snowflake Arizona, and in Canada. While I am trying to find the addresses of these places, I wonder if you can tell me if there is a possibility to visit the white zone in Greenbank West Virginia and stay there for some weeks or a month or two. Do you have an address of someone who lives over there or someone who has an answer to my question?

    Maybe we can create a vision together, so we can grow from feeling a victim in having a model for a new future. In the words of Dieter Duhm (one of the founders of Tamera): When life wins, there will be no losers.

    Thank you for your reply.
    Warm greetings,

    Wilma de Jong
    wilmaajnadejong@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear people,

    I am an electro high sensitive Dutch woman staying at Tamera, Portugal at the moment. This beautiful community, with beautiful goals for a better world, has almost no consciousness about the wireless-pollution. At all the gathering places there is wifi and most of the people wear mobile phones (mostly smart phones). So it really is a challenge to be here, trying to find my way.
    Tamera is the first community I am visiting on my journey for several months. We often grow through resistance and during my weeks over here I have got my vision clear. I have grown from feeling a victim in having a vision. Now I am writing an article on the pollution of the Ether-element (by radiation of artificial electromagnetical fields) and I am planning to initiate a white zone in Holland.

    Because I have several months left for my journey I would love to visit other white zones in Europe or beyond. I have heard there is one in France (near Crest), in the Alps of Italy, in Germany, in Switserland, in Sweden, in Greenbank West Virginia, in Snowflake Arizona and in Canada. While I am trying to find the addresses of these places, I wonder if you can tell me if it is possible to visit the white zone in Greenbank West Virginia for some weeks or a month or two. And if so, if you can bring me in contact with the right person.

    Maybe we can create a vision together, so we can grow from feeling a victim to having a model for a new culture. In the words of Dieter Duhm (one of the founders of Tamera): When life wins, there will be no losers.

    Thank you for your reply.
    Warm greetings,

    Wilma de Jong
    wilmaajnadejong@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete