|A Hong Kong resident claims his flat was destroyed by fire|
after his Samsung Galaxy S4 burst into flames while he was
playing the game Love Machine.
by Simon Tomlinson, Daily Mail, 30 July 2013
A fire which destroyed a Hong Kong flat started when a Samsung Galaxy S4 burst into flames, the owner has claimed.
The man, known only as Du, says he was playing the game Love Machine when he heard a loud pop from the phone's battery.
He said he was so startled by the noise he instinctively threw the phone onto a sofa which promptly caught fire.
The flames gutted his apartment, but he and his wife were able to escape.
There have been a number of reports over the last year of Samsung Galaxy phones catching fire, although some have been linked to unofficial products.
According to the Huffington Post, Mr Du told Chinese website Xianguo.com that his phone, charger and battery were all authentic Samsung versions.
Samsung Hong Kong said it is looking into the matter.
Earlier this month, a Swiss teenager suffered serious burns when her Samsung Galaxy S3 apparently exploded in her pocket.
She claims she was left with no feeling in her right thigh and said she will be launching a criminal complaint against Samsung.
The fire damage to the Samsung S3 phone, pictured, is thought to have been caused when the battery exploded. Samsung said it will launch a 'thorough examination to determine the exact cause'
Reports released later by the EMPA Materials Science and Technology and Samsung both found that a third-party battery not authorised by Samsung was responsible for the explosion.
In May this year, Reddit user Vizionx1208 posted pictures of his destroyed Samsung Galaxy S3 smartphone, claiming he was 'awoken by a loud noise and a weird squeaking sound.'
Last year, an Irish Samsung S3 owner claimed his handset burst into flames as he was driving his car.