Raise awareness of environmental health issues in order to better protect our children and future generations.

EMF Studies

03 September 2013

These Persons, Sick from Electromagnetic Waves, Who "Survive"

These persons, sick from electromagnetic waves, who "survive"
by Audrey Garric, journalist for Le Monde.fr
30 August 2013 (translated from French) See original article in French here:  " Ces malades des ondes électromagnétiques, qui 'survivent' "

They suffer from headaches, burns, insomnia or tachycardia, symptoms they attribute to waves from mobile phones, Wi -Fi networks or antennas. These people, called electrohypersensitive (EHS), an unrecognized disease in France, have developed a more or less severe intolerance to electromagnetic fields to the extent that they need to increase medical consultations, redo their homes, wear protection, and sometimes flee civilization.

On 26, 27 and 28 August , they met in the secluded valley of Boulc (Drôme) to request the “urgent” establishment of white zones, free of radiofrequency. Portraits of these people sick from waves :

Anne Cautain, living in the stables of a forest house
 
She feels "burned" by the least wave, whether Wi- Fi, mobile phones, home appliances, but also by extremely low frequencies (50 Hz) generated by the flow of current in electrical cablesAnne Cautain, 57, suffers greatly from electrohypersensitivity. "Since 2009, I am a real radar:  I know that at such a place, there is an antenna or a transformer. I feel the current in my nerve endings," she says, cheeks flushed, barefoot and wrist connected to a steel post sunk into the ground to “discharge".

The journey to reach Boulc from the Hautes-Alpes , where she lives in the former stables of a forest house lighted by candles and heated by a stove, exhausted her. She has spent it wrapped in blankets in a truck converted into a Faraday cage (an electromagnetic-proof enclosure), driven by her daughter, on whom she totally depends. Finally, she will not stay long at the site, where some waves reach her, despite the isolation.

Anne Cautain has not always been intolerant to radiofrequencies. Her symptoms occurred six months after the installation of Wi Fi terminals at the University of Nice, where she worked as a housekeeper. "I started to feel intense neurological pain, dizziness, memory loss and my sleep was fragmented, she describes. “Then I could no longer stand my apartment, located near antennas."  She left overnight.  A year of wandering to escape waves follows, spent between a yurt at the bottom of a valley, a restaurant cellar, an armored car in a parking lot, a caravan and a hut with a metal-sheeted garden. "My suffering was more than a long downward plummet. I did not know where to put myself, I wanted to go underground," she said again, a sadness in her voice.

That's when she heard about a cave in Saint-Julien-en-Beauchene (Hautes-Alpes), where she lived three years with two other women also "electro". The inhabitants of the hamlet wee supportive, redoing the chamber (with a floor to place beds and sheeting against the rain), bringing baskets of fruit and vegetables and water, and a neighbor lending them a showerNevertheless, life was tough: the temperature rarely exceeded 10 °C, the lighting was dim and Anne Cautain lost 14 kilos. The three women eventually had to leave their refuge during the installation of 3G in the village, that they say they "felt " before being informed.

"I know I'm passing for a crazy and marginal person,* she says, lucid. “But even if it is extremely hard to live, I have no choice. I do not look at the past, or what I am losing in life : I survive."  Receiving a disability pension from Social Security, she says she hopes to one day find a cure and regain an independent, almost normal life, in a white zone.


Oscar, a former trader who lives and works in Paris


He is the opposite caricature of a marginal and disturbed electrosensitive person. Oscar, 47, a former sales trader ( trader - dealer ) in major international banks, intolerant to Wi-Fi since 2010 - but sensitive to electromagnetic fields for years - continues to live and work in Paris as a teacher in business schools and as a freelance trainer for banking institutions. Places where waves abound.

"The days wear me out, between burns inside the body, tingling and headaches. And I find it hard to recover overnight," he reflects. Sometimes, he must slow down. "I had to go to New York in July to give a well-paid training. But I was at the end. I had to cancel at the last moment," he laments, pointing to a disease very detrimental to professional life.  “Before, I worked in New York, Chicago, and London. Today, it is no longer possible. I spend a third of my time trying to take care of myself and get better. It changed my life."


Since the onset of his symptoms , Oscar has moved three times, finally settling near the Bois de Vincennes this summer. There is no Wi -Fi at home (he also asked his neighbors to turn it off at night), a wired telephone, alarm clock with batteries, and shielded curtains. He has one appointment after another with doctors and frequently runs in the woods. "In the end, I have no life as a couple, no children, and a very disturbed social life. Electrosensitivity isolates."

Isabelle, forced to sleep in her basement

She wears a hat wrapped in a copper and silver mesh. "This alleviates headaches, the tingling that I feel in one half of my brain and language disorders," she says. In 2008, Isabelle, 52, a podiatrist, who prefers to remain anonymous – receives emergency care from a neurologist for these symptoms. After a battery of tests, the doctor concluded that she is in perfect health.

“Then I realized that my troubles were caused by the antennas installed on top of a water tower 130 meters from home,” she says. Whenever I left my home, I felt better, and when I came back, it got worse again. "

Isabelle cannot move; her husband refused to leave the Isère family home.  She then makes a canopy bed functioning as a Faraday cage that she moved into her cellar. And when she can, she flees her home, as between 2011 and 2013, when she took refuge in the Dordogne. "My life was upset,” testifies Isabella, now retired. “When I manage to not be too exposed, I feel better."

Philippe, who left his job, his home and his wife

It was in 2007 that everything changed for Philippe Tribaudeau. Professor of technology, he works almost all the time behind a screen in the presence of twenty-four other computers in the room. The bedroom of his apartment is located 15 meters from the secondary school’s transformer, near Dijon. "In three months, I no longer supported waves. I felt burns on the skin, tingling all over and an enormous fatigue,” he says. “I managed to finish the year but I could not make the next school year." The former teacher then takes a year off work followed by three years’ layoff without pay.

"I lived a year in a camper in the woods, sometimes surrounded by a meter of snow. My wife, who has supported me for four years, provided supplies every six weeks." He was illegally occupying the forest of Saoû in the Drôme, between June and October 2010, before being expelled by the authorities. "We need a white zone for refuge. “Electrosensitivity is a life of wandering, isolation, insecurity,” he says. “We must try to live as best we can, but leaving home, taking to the road and going nowhere, exerts strong psychological pressure."

He says he has experienced well this "leap into the void”. "I was well prepared to live outdoors : I am athletic and I love the mountains. Isolation does not weigh upon me,“ says the man whose face is weathered by months of outdoor life. I rebuilt a new life. "

This new departure for Philippe Tribaudeau who now receives a disability pension, took him to the isolated valley of Boulc to a semi-underground farm he unearthed a year ago. He has set up his association here, “A land for EHS” (Une terre pour les EHS)” and he regularly hosts electrosensitive persons who pass by. "Everything is always disjointed for me, he says. “I use my computer from time to time, four hours maximum, working three meters from the screen using very long cables." The man, also multi-chemical-sensitive (intolerant to odors from laundry, perfume or pollution) must also aerate only when there is a brisk breeze. He concluded: "I live in a jar."

Maïlys, master's student in toxicology

"When I was 14, I had an anxiety attack while watching a movie, then dizziness and extreme fatigue. This went on for months," said Maïlys, a pretty blonde who wears a blue fleece complementing her eyes. Her mother, a therapist and herself electrohypersensitive, associates these symptoms with the installation of a cell tower in their neighborhood in Romans (Drôme).

"We looked at the electrical system of the house, moved the bed away from the wall, removed everything that emits frequencies in the bedroom and I protect myself with fabrics, anti-wave caps and scarves,” says the girl. “I still have a cell phone, but I seldom switch it on."

Maïlys, now 21 years old, managed to get rid of some of her pain thanks to a relaxation therapist. She was able to pursue environmental health studies and will enter into a master’s 2 toxicology program in Paris. "I want to live my life with people of my age, to cease holding back. I'll even look for a roommate. But I’m a little afraid of arriving in a big city," she admits. If her family agrees to switch off Wi -Fi in her presence, they remain skeptical about the source of her ills. “For my family, including my uncles and aunts, it is a taboo subject. They think it's in my head. I scare them."

Note: Thank you to the contributor to WEEP News who provided an initial English translation of this article. The Editor of this blog has made a number of grammatical changes.

http://www.lemonde.fr/planete/article/2013/08/30/ces-malades-des-ondes-electromagnetiques-qui-survivent_3468862_3244.html

No comments:

Post a Comment