Raise awareness of environmental health issues in order to better protect our children and future generations.

EMF Studies

29 August 2014

24-Year-Old Mother Burned by Charging iPhone As She Slept

'My iPhone burned a hole in my BREAST': Mother left scarred for life after charging mobile scorched her as she slept
by Ruth Styles, Daily Mail, 24 August 2014

· Dionne Baxter, 24, from Essex was burned by her iPhone as she slept
· Was left with a painful five inch burn which later became infected
· Fears that she will be unable to breastfeed should she have another child

Sleeping with your mobile charging beside you isn't uncommon but for one young mother, keeping her iPhone close at hand has had painful consequences.

Dionne Baxter, 24, fell asleep lying across her charging iPhone 4 but woke up in agony the next day with a five inch burn on her breast.


Ms Baxter, a former warehouse worker from Purfleet in Essex, was rushed to hospital where doctors attempted to treat the wound with antibiotic cream and painkillers.

'I sleep in the nude and this large red mark was all down one side to the nipple,' Ms Baxter revealed in an interview with the Sun newspaper.

'When I touched the phone, it was so hot, I couldn't pick it up.'

Ms Baxter's experience is not the first time that unwary users have found themselves injured by an overheating iPhone.

Just two weeks ago, Jake Parker, 18, woke up to find himself with a painful burn on his arm after dozing off draped over his iPhone 5.

And in February, a teenage girl was left with second degree burns after her iPhone caught fire while in her back pocket at school.

The 14-year-old had just arrived for her French class at a middle school in Kennebunk, Maine, when the device spontaneously set alight and burnt her thigh and back.

Ms Baxter, whose wound later became infected, now fears that she may not be able to breastfeed a second child should she have one.

'It's dreadful,' she added. 'Imagine if my daughter had been on that side of the bed and it had burned her face.'

Apple declined to comment when approached by MailOnline.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2733176/Mother-left-scarred-life-charging-iPhone-scorched-slept.html?ito=social-facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment