Raise awareness of environmental health issues in order to better protect our children and future generations.

EMF Studies

13 January 2016

Girl, 9, Left with iPhone-Shaped Scar After Toxic Pink Glitter from Mobile's Case Burns Her Skin

Olivia Retter's leg after her phone case leaked - Toxic pink
glitter from Olivia Retter's phone case leaked onto her leg
while she was in bed, leaving her with an angry chemical
burn in the exact shape of her iPhone 5c.
The real culprit:  the case or the iPhone? Or, the interaction of the chemical substances in the case and the electromagnetic radiation emitted by the iPhone? 

Girl, 9, left with iPhone-shaped scar after toxic pink glitter from mobile's case burns her skin
by Anthony Bond, Tui Benjamin, mirror.co.uk, 12 January 2016

Olivia Retter was in bed when her phone case leaked onto her leg - leaving her with an angry chemical burn in the exact shape of her iPhone 5c

A nine-year-old girl has been left with an iPhone-shaped scar for life after toxic pink glitter from her phone case burned her skin.

Olivia Retter was in bed when her phone case leaked onto her leg - leaving her with an angry chemical burn in the exact shape of her iPhone 5c.

The youngster, from Ware, Hertfordshire, bought the £5.99 phone case - decorated with unicorns and rainbows - from a New Look store in Cambridge.

Now her shocked mum Karly Retter's post warning other parents to be aware of the danger posed by similar phone cases has gone viral, racking up nearly 13,000 Facebook shares.

Karly, 35, a cleaner, said: "Olivia is not supposed to have her phone in her bedroom at night but she sneaked it in and had it in her bed, so she fell asleep with it touching her leg."She woke up in the middle of the night and came into my room and said her leg was hurting - I just thought she was being silly and sent her back to bed.

"Then in the morning I saw this awful burn on her leg - I was so shocked a phone case could do that.

"Doctors have said it is a severe chemical burn and she will be scarred for life. I can't believe it, she will have a scar in the shape of a phone on her leg."

Oliva fell asleep with her phone in the bed next to her on January 2, and woke up the following morning with the painful red burn on her right thigh.

The clear liquid inside the phone case had leaked out onto her bare skin, but Karly said there was no visible crack which showed where it had escaped from.

Karly rushed Olivia to the doctor several days later who confirmed her injury was a severe chemical burn caused by acid and gave her dressings to wear.

Married mum-of-three Karly, who is also mum to Ruby, 15, and 10-year-old Isabella, claims she has rung New Look's customer service department three times over the incident but received no response.

This is the phone case which leaked on
Olivia's leg.
But the high street fashion retailer has confirmed in a statement that the phone case is being removed from sale in all stores.

She said: "There wasn't a safety warning or anything at all on the case itself - nothing which warns you what was inside is a chemical which can cause serious burns.

"Imagine if it had leaked when Olivia was on the phone or holding it to her face - it could have gone on her face or her eyes.

"You just don't think something like that could happen.

"A lot of young girls have similar phone cases and they have no idea how dangerous they are."

A spokesman for New Look said: "New Look has spoken with the customer involved and takes complaints of this nature extremely seriously.

"In line with our health and safety procedure, we have now instructed all stores to remove the product in question from the shop floor with immediate effect.

"Our quality team have also begun an investigation with the supplier to understand and prevent this from happening in the future."


No comments:

Post a Comment