|A mobile phone (pictured) lost between two seats burst into flames and|
began to smoke on-board an international Qantas flight.
"The Australian Transport Safety Bureau said further education was needed on the potential hazards of flying with PEDs (personal electronic devices) that have lithium ion batteries."
Pictured: The mobile phone stuck between two seats on a Qantas plane that burst into FLAMES on a flight from Sydney to Dallas
by Peter Devlin for Daily Mail Australia, 25 August 2016
- Phone burst into flames on Qantas flight from Sydney to Dallas-Fort Worth
- The phone was discovered stuck between two seats in business class
- Report noted it was the 17th 'lithium battery thermal event' in six years
A passenger on board the A380 flight from Sydney to Dallas-Fort Worth alerted crew to smoke in the cabin two hours before the plane was scheduled to land on May 15.
The cabin crew initiated a fire drill procedure before the crushed phone was found wedged tightly in the seat mechanism of 19F, on the upper deck in the business class section.
By that time the phone was no longer emitting smoke but a strong acrid smell had filled the cabin.
The crew moved the seat and freed the phone before placing it in a jug of water, which was then put in a metal box and monitored for the remainder of the flight.
The Australian Transport Safety Bureau said further education was needed on the potential hazards of flying with PEDs (personal electronic devices) that have lithium ion batteries.
In a report the bureau pointed out the incident was the 17th 'lithium battery thermal event' in six years.
The ATSB is also investigating a fire on board a Qantas 747 flight on June, 21, again involving a phone stuck between two seats.
Friction between the phone and the seats reclining mechanism caused the device to burst into flames.
The flight was on the way from Sydney to Los Angeles.