|(Choice of image by Editor, "Towards Better Health" - from|
by Suad Patton-Bey, nydailynews.com,
7 November 2016
A French woman says she plans to sue Samsung after her Galaxy J5 smartphone — a different model than the one involved in a recent recall — caught fire and exploded in her home.
Lamya Bouyirdane told the Associated Press that she asked her son to pass her the phone, and noticed it was very hot.
The phone was "swollen up" and smoke was coming out, she said.
"I panicked when I saw the smoke and I had the reflex to throw it away," Bouyirdane told the Associated Press.
The phone caught fire and the back blew off, but her partner was able to extinguish the fire, she said.
The mother of three says she purchased the phone in June.
A Samsung spokesperson released a statement Monday but declined to comment directly about Bouyirdane's claims.
"Customer safety remains our highest priority and we want to work with any customer who has experienced an issue with a Samsung product in order to investigate the matter and support them," Danielle Meister Cohen said.
The Galaxy Note 7 was recalled due to a problem that caused the batteries to overheat and catch fire.
No recalls have been announced regarding the Galaxy J5.
The South Korean company has replaced up to 85% of Note 7 models in the United States. Samsung along with the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission have issued a second recall for all Note 7 devices including their replacements.
With News Wire Services