10 March 2016
Message to United Nations Secretary-General and UN Affiliated Bodies: Encourage Precautionary Measures to Limit Exposure of Children and Pregnant Women to Electromagnetic Radiation
I am grateful to the person, who works at the International Human Rights Commission ihrchq.org, who shared my review of the United Nations Geneva, posted on UNOG's Facebook site:
Review of the United Nations Geneva
Please take the time to read Dave Ashton's review regarding the emerging health crisis from the use throughout the world of electromagnetic radiation-emitting wireless technologies.
In addition to the Conventions he has cited, there is the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child. Children are our greatest resource and will be the future guardians of humanity and our planet. We must therefore do all that we can to protect their well-being, as stated in the Convention:
Article 3 - The best interests of the child must be a top priority in all decisions and actions that affect children
Article 23 - A child with a disability has the right to live a full and decent life with dignity and, as far as possible, independence and to play an active part in the community. Governments must do all they can to support disabled children and their families.
Article 24 - Every child has the right to the best possible health...
Children, without their consent, are being exposed widely to electromagnetic radiation from wireless technology at home, in public spaces, and in schools. Many of them are becoming "electrosensitive", a disability not recognized in most countries. As the Convention states, "Governments must do all they can to support [disabled] children and their families."
We are therefore asking the United Nations Secretary-General to respect the rights of children and all people, by acknowledging the International EMF Scientist Appeal, which requests him and UN affiliated bodies to encourage precautionary measures to limit exposure to EM radiation and to educate the public about health risks, particularly to children and pregnant women.
Dave Ashton's Review of the United Nations Geneva
Dear United Nations,
The Preamble of the UN Charter states the following:
WE THE PEOPLES OF THE UNITED NATIONS DETERMINED
...to reaffirm faith in fundamental human rights, in the dignity and worth of the human person, in the equal rights of men and women and of nations large and small...
I'm afraid to say that the UN is failing one sizeable, and growing, group of individuals throughout the world; electro-hypersensitive (EHS) people such as myself, and the estimated 3-5% of the general population who suffer excruciatingly as a result of toxic exposure to electromagnetic radiation, and especially to the microwave frequency radiation from wireless technologies that is now ubiquitous in our environment.
You will be aware of this issue, and also of the wider issue of the biological harm being done to everyone on the planet, without exception.
You will know that the International Agency for Research on Cancer, part of the World Health Organisation, has classified the radiofrequency portion of the electromagnetic spectrum as a possible carcinogen. Chronic exposure may therefore lead to cancer, along with a staggeringrange of other health issues.
You will be aware that in 2011 the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe issued Resolution1815, calling for the following:
• Implement “information campaigns about the risk of biological effects on the environment and human health, especially targeting children and young people of reproductive age. “
• “Reconsider the scientific basis for the present standards on exposure to electromagnetic fields set by the International Commission on Non-Ionising Radiation Protection, which have serious limitations, and apply ALARA principles, covering both thermal effects and the athermic or biological effects of electromagnetic emissions or radiation.”
• “For children in general, and particularly in schools and classrooms, give preference to wired Internet connections, and strictly regulate the use of mobile phones by schoolchildren on school premises.”
You received the International EMF Scientist Appeal on May 11th 2015, signed by 190 experts in the study of the biological effects of exposure to this radiation, in which they said:
"The International EMF Scientist Appeal asks the Secretary General and UN affiliated bodies to encourage precautionary measures, to limit EMF exposures, and to educate the public about health risks, particularly to children and pregnant women. The Appeal requests the United Nations Environmental Programme (UNEP) to assess the potential impact of EMF exposure on all living organisms."
You will also know that they call on you to:
• address the emerging public health crisis related to cell phones, wireless devices, wireless utility meters and wireless infrastructure in neighborhoods; and
• urge that the United Nations Environmental Programme (UNEP) initiate an assessment of alternatives to current exposure standards and practices that could substantially lower human exposures to non-ionizing radiation.
206 scientists have now put their names to this Appeal, and they yet to receive a response from the UN.
You will be aware that the following Declaration on Electro-Hypersensitivity and Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS) was issued by the scientists and medical experts who attended the 5th Paris Appeal Congress earlier this year:
“Considering that the chemical and electromagnetic environment is deteriorating globally, and that so called electromagnetic hypersensitivity (EHS) and multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS) are an escalatingworldwide health problem, affecting industrialized as well as developing countries.
We, physicians, acting in accordance with the Hippocratic Oath, we, scientists, acting in the name of scientific truth, we all, medical doctors and researchers working in different countries worldwide,hereby state in full independence of judgment,
• that a high and growing number of persons are suffering from EHS and MCS worldwide;
• that EHS and MCS affect women, men and children;
• that on the basis of the presently available peer-reviewed scientific evidence of adverse health effects of electromagnetic fields (EMFs) and various chemicals, and on the basis of clinical and biologicalinvestigations of patients, EHS is associated with exposure to EMFs and MCS with chemical exposure;
• that many frequencies of the electromagnetic spectrum (radio- and microwave-frequencies as well as low and extremely low frequencies) and multiple chemicals are involved in the occurrence of EHS and MCS respectively;
• that the trigger for illness can be acute high intensity exposure or chronic very low intensity exposure and that reversibility can be obtained with a natural environment characterized by limited levels of anthropogenic EMFs and chemicals;
• that current case-control epidemiological studies and provocative studies aiming at reproducing EHS and/or MCS are scientifically difficult to construct and due to the present design flaws are in fact not suitable to prove or disprove causality; in particularbecause objective inclusion/exclusion criteria and endpoint evaluation criteria need to be more clearly defined; because responses to EMFs/chemicals are highly individual and depend on a variety of exposure parameters; and finally because test conditions are often reducing signal-to-noise ratio thereby obscuring evidence of a possible effect;
• that the nocebo effect is not a relevant nor a valid explanation when considering scientifically valuable blind provocation studies, since objective biologicalmarkers are detectable in patients as well as in animals;
• that new approaches are emerging for clinical and biological diagnosis and for monitoring of EHS and MCS including the use of reliable biomarkers;
• that EHS and MCS may be two faces of the same hypersensitivity-associated pathological condition and that this condition is causing serious consequences to health, professional and family life;
• finally that EHS and MCS ought therefore to be fully recognized by international and national institutions with responsibility for human health."
You will be aware of the articles in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights which appear to be especially relevant to EHS sufferers:
• Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person.
• No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.
• (2) Everyone has the right of equal access to public service in his country.
• (1) Everyone has the right to...just and favourableconditions of work...
•( 1) Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself a and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control.
• (1) Everyone has the right freely to participate in the cultural life of the community, to enjoy the arts and to share in scientific advancement and its benefits.
You will also be aware of the articles in the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities which should theoretically apply to EHS sufferers,and yet which in practice are breached more than they are observed:
Article 1 - Purpose
The purpose of the present Convention is to promote, protect and ensure the full and equal enjoyment of all human rights and fundamental freedoms by all persons with disabilities, and to promote respect for their inherent dignity.
Persons with disabilities include those who have long-term physical, mental, intellectual or sensory impairments which in interaction with various barriers may hinder their full and effective participation in society on an equal basis with others.
Article 3 - General principles
The principles of the present Convention shall be:
a. Respect for inherent dignity, individual autonomy including the freedom to make one’s own choices, and independence of persons;
c. Full and effective participation and inclusion in society;
d. Respect for difference and acceptance of persons with disabilities as part of human diversity and humanity;
e. Equality of opportunity;
You will be aware of everything that I have mentioned, so why won't you act?